Divine Justice


Our world is filled with people who commit egregious acts of self-enrichment. They abuse, oppress, deceive, and take advantage of others for purposes of personal gain. Some are caught and make spectacular headlines, but many seem to get away with it. We console ourselves with the thought that "in the end, they'll get what they deserve."   

This is the Old Testament-way of thinking: "The Lord detests all the proud of heart. Be sure of this: They will not go unpunished." (Proverbs 16:5) 

For those of us who have not sacrificed our lives on the altar of power and greed, the New Testament invites us into a radically different, bracingly life-giving way of being: Justice has already been served! We are already winners! I had this experience this past weekend when I participated as a finalist in a composition competition that, once there, I realized I could never win since the mechanics clearly favored the insiders and I was an outsider. When the awards were announced and my piece was not chosen, I truly felt like a winner. It was a surprising and deeply reassuring experience.

Well, then, what do our "winnings" look like? Empty hands, extended before God in supplication; a contrite heart, emptied of attachments and addictions and open to the outpouring of God's love; the bold conviction that Christ, God in human form who suffered just as we do and gave his life that death would be forever overcome, walks with us at every step and embraces us with a surpassing love.

My "prize" on the aforementioned occasion was an eight-hour drive home with no certificate nor any assurance of imminent publication. Instead, I came away with memories of the way in which music which God had poured through me had been lovingly received by open and willing hearts.

"For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will save it. What does it profit them if they gain the whole world, but lose or forfeit themselves?" (Luke 9:24-25) 

(Above: Luke the Evangelist)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LET CREATION SING

The heart of worship

Feed My Sheep